Sullivan County, Indiana

A great place to call home

Indiana State Flag

Indiana State Flag

The blue and gold state banner was adopted by the 1917 General Assembly as part of the commemoration of the state's 1916 Centennial celebration. In 1914 the Indiana Daughters of the American Revolution offered a prize of $100 to the person who could design a state banner. Paul Hadley's (Mooresville, Indiana) design was accepted and submitted to the General Assembly of 1917 for the official adoption. The addition of the word Indiana was the only change made by the General Assembly The name was changed from banner to flag by the 1955 General Assembly.

Pursuant to Indiana Code IC 1-2-2-1: Sec. 1 A state flag is hereby adopted and the same shall be of the following design and dimensions: Its dimensions shall be 3 feet fly by 2 feet hoist; or 5 feet fly by 3 feet hoist; or any size proportionate to either of those dimensions.

The torch in the center stands for liberty and enlightenment; the rays represent their far-reach influence. the official description in the Indiana Code explains the rest of the symbolism:

"The field of the flag shall be blue with nineteen stars and a flaming torch in gold or buff. Thirteen stars shall be arranged in a outer circle, representing the thirteen original states; five stars shall be arranged in a half circle below the torch and inside the outer circle of stars, representing the states admitted prior to Indiana; and the nineteenth star, appreciably larger than the others and representing Indiana shall be placed above the flame of the torch."

The outer circle of stars shall be so arranged that one star shall appear directly above the middle at the top of the circle, and the word Indiana shall be placed in a half circle over and above the star representing Indiana and midway between it and the star in the center above it. Rays shall be shown radiating from the torch to the three stars on each side of the star in the upper center circle.

Contact Us

Topics of Interest